Clinic Rudolf Virchow
1979 - 2002
Sen Stadt Berlin
Project Manager for the engineering consultancy Prof. Burkhardt
GmbH & Co.
The new clinic is structured in
conformity with the historic layout. The specialist surgical departments
are located mainly to the south of the central boulevard, while the
conservative departments and the gynaecological and paediatric clinics
are positioned to its north.
The southern and northern belts of buildings are linked via a main transverse
route in the basement to the adjacent x ray diagnosis centre. This underground
access system connects all the clinic buildings, eliminating the need
for outdoor movements; the peripheral central amenities, such as the
kitchens, laundry centre and refuse collecting centre are also reached
via this system.
- Expansion of tunnel system and conversion of central stores
- Conversion of the Special Surgery clinic
- Infrastructural modifications
- New central research and teaching facilities
- New buildings for the gynaecological and paediatric clinic and the
Faculty of Internal Medicine
- Expansion of the Dermatology building
- Conversion of the children's building, Pavilion 20